October 17, 2009

Wooly wonder

Spent half a day at the Dixon Lambtown Festival a couple weekends ago. Lots of knitting and spinning going on. A few of the gals from my knitting group entered handspun skeins and knitted projects into a competition and two of them placed! Below is the sheep to shawl competition going on where they take raw wool, spin it into yarn, and then make a shawl from it all within a matter of hours.
My special treat of the day was a 300+ yard handspun superwash wool yarn. Other than that, I picked up some sale sock yarn made with crab shells of all things to make myself some plain socks for the winter. I've only made myself one set of kneesocks and that was in the beginning of my knitting "career" so I'm due to knit some more as well as learn how to knit them at the same time using the magic loop method.

I had so much stuff attached to me that day, as I was trying to avoid using the stroller. Turns out it was a bad idea but it ended well. I had brought a small knitting project with me in hopes I'd have a few minutes to knit but it fell out of the diaper bag within minutes of getting there and I didn't realize I was missing it until that night. Luckily, it was kicked against a wall and found by one of the organizers. I tracked her down and she shipped it to me no charge. I love knitters. Now I'll be paying it forward.

As the weather turns, I'm getting more and more inspired to knit and craft (I just need more time!). I am currently working on a set of plain white onesies that I scored new at a garage sale and am dressing them up with fabric designs and glued-on gems and buttons. Good timing because I have a couple baby showers to go to this weekend. A few of them will be for Maggie but I need to get my butt in gear because they are 6-9 months and she'll be out of this size very soon.

1 comment: